[Foundation-l] Translation of "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by MediaWiki" images

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Tue Sep 5 16:33:41 UTC 2006

Guillaume Paumier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some French-language Wikipedians would like to translate the text of the two
> images at the bottom of each page: "A Wikimedia project" and "Powered by
> MediaWiki". To answer them I would like to know:
> * if it is technically possible;
> * what people from the Foundation think about it.

There is no reason why we couldn't do this. All we need to do is have
those two images access an actual wiki image, just like the logo in the
top-left corner is actually [[Image:Wiki.png]] (correct me if I'm
wrong). Granting access to change those images to sysops only is way
enough to ensure that any necessary restrictions are met (e.g. the
MediaWiki one must mention MediaWiki and must not change the MediaWiki
logo).

Timwi