[Foundation-l] How not to manage opensource project

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Sep 4 07:22:23 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:

>That said, it still strikes me as odd to see that amount of
>speculative text before, er, asking what the words legally mean as
>used.

Normally in law words have their regular dictionary definition unless
the statute provides a more specific definition.

Thus according to the 2001 New Oxford Dictionary of English:
    "govern": conduct the policy, action and affairs of; control,
influence or regulate.
    "manage": be in charge of, administer, run, regulate; maintain
control or influence over.

This is much closer to the meaning that the French speakers are
concerned about.  If somehow certain Americans believe that these words
should have a more benign interpretation there should be some legal
basis for that.  One deals with these ambiguities before they become
real problems.  When the dispute goes so far that the courts are left to
decide they will do so on the basis of what they have in front of them.
Judges tend to be unmoved when people complain that they thought the
opponent differs from what is on paper.

Ec