[Foundation-l] How not to manage opensource project

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 3 15:04:09 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:
> On 02/09/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>There is a discussion on the french wikipedia, precisely on this topic.
>>I invite you to have a look here :
>>http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilisateur:Bradipus/Chat_with_Jimbo
>

> So, how long before fr: forks? And, looking at the legal threats in
> that discussion, will they try to take the 'Wikipedia' trademark with
> them?
>

> - d.

Erroneous conclusion.

Jimbo has been most involved in the french projects around 2004, when we
created the french association and had to deal with "arbitration"
issues. That's the moment he had the most "influence" over local
decisions. Before that date, he was basically unknown. Now, he is quite
known, but only through the press.

In my long history in Wikipedia, I have seen the french complains loudly
pretty frequently, the first time ever when Jimbo complained about the
french setting up a different logo (because the logo at that time was
very english centric, which we viewed as unacceptable). I have a very
strong memory of that day, and of Brion getting it right
(http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/intlwiki-l/2002-June/000451.html).
I remember it VERY well, because that's the very day when I decided to
get involved in international issues.

Someone can express pretty strongly a disagreement, without it
necessarily leading to a fork. However, yes, that should be seen as a
sign of anxiety. I recommand avoiding "fixing the issue" by saying "they
did not understand me well, they should make the effort to really
understand what I mean".

At least, if we want to develop internationally :-)

ant