[Foundation-l] Use of Wikimedia-Logo's in articles

Tuvic tuvic.tuvic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 19:06:51 UTC 2006

> You could find the solution here:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikipedia-logo-af.png

I only see the normal Wikimedia-copyright-template, like on all other
Wikimedia logo's. (Am I overlooking something?)

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_visual_identity_guidelines
> and you should ask a permission, but it is also strange look for a
> permission for a Wikipedia logo in Wikipedia contents: it is a
> paradox.

The webpage only talks about how to use the Wikimedia Logo, and how not, is
doesn't tell anything about when it can't be used or not.
I agree: it looks a paradox or something like that.

> It would depend I think on nl:wp policy on corporate logos in general.
> Does nl: allow fair use images? On en:, corporate logos in articles
> about a corporation are allowed as fair use - it's clearly academic
> fair use to use the logo when talking about a company in an article
> about the company.

NL policy does not allow fair use. But, it the logo's are removed from the
articles, shouldn't they also be removed from the template like {{Commons}}
and so? Wouldn't that mean that the logo's (our 'own' logo's) are totally
useless to us?

I was actually hoping for some reaction of the Board or so, because this
isn't only about NL-wiki, but apparently about every wiki not allowing
Fair-use, if I understand this correctly.

Greetings, Tuvic (NL-wiki)