[Foundation-l] Fw: [SLA-SF] Save EPA Libraries!

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 19:09:21 UTC 2006

There has been talk on this list about how to spend money relicensing
copyrighted materials under a free license.

Access and true freedom of information requires more than a free license.
It requires transparent and effective indexing, physical access to
original sources, classification and other infrastructure.

I mentioned the EPA library catastrophe -- a slow breakdown of one of our
truly free library and archival institutions -- earlier this year.
http://www.aibs.org/public-policy-reports/2006_09_25.html#002482

An update follows.  Please contact your Senators by the end of the
month to ask them to support the Boxer-Lautenberg letter.

--SJ

http://www.ala.org/ala/washoff/washnews/news.htm

<
<

<
> CALL BOTH OF YOUR SENATORS TODAY AND ASK THEM TO SIGN ONTO
< the Boxer-Lautenberg "Dear Colleague" letter!  The letter asks the
< Appropriators to direct EPA to maintain access and research expertise

<

<
> Sincerely,
> Barbara Boxer                                           Frank R. Lautenberg
> United States Senator                                United States Senator
<
> CC:  Senator Ted Stevens Senator Arlen Specter Senator Pete Domenici Senator
> Christopher Bond Senator Mitch McConnell Senator Richard Shelby Senator Judd
> Gregg Senator Robert Bennett Senator Larry Craig Senator Kay Bailey
> Hutchinson Senator Mike DeWine Senator Sam Brownback Senator Wayne Allard
> Senator Daniel Inouye Senator Patrick Leahy Senator Tom Harkin Senator
> Barbara Mikulski Senator Harry Reid Senator Herb Kohl Senator Patty Murray
> Senator Dianne Feinstein Senator Richard Durbin Senator Tim Johnson Senator
> Mary Landrieu
>
> Status of EPA Regional Library Closures and Reductions in Service:
> (Specialized Libraries Not Included)
> 1. Closed
<  * Region 5, which served Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota,
<      Ohio, and Wisconsin.
<  * Region 6, which serves Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico,
<      Oklahoma, Texas, and Iowa.
<  * Region 7, which serves Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska.
<
> 2. Closed to the Public with Reduced Hours to EPA Staff
<  * Region 2 Library, which served New York, New Jersey, Puerto
<      Rico, and the Virgin Islands.
<
< 3. Reduced Access to EPA Staff and the Public
<  * Region 1, which serves Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine,
< New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
<  * Region 9, which serves Arizona, California, Hawaii,
< Nevada, the Pacific Islands, and Tribal Nations.
<  * Region 10, which serves Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Washington,
< and Native Tribes.
<  * EPA Headquarters