[Foundation-l] World Wikipedia project?

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 09:03:55 UTC 2006

On 26/10/06, luke brandt <shojokid at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have mentioned this a couple of times, but as yet no one seems interested.
> The idea is to coordinate Wikipedia policy over different languages as much
> as possible, so it becomes easier to amalgamate, to the benefit of all, with
> just translation needed.

What does "amalgamate" mean, exactly? I am not convinced of any great
need for all the projects to have identical policies.

Then issues of formatting, layout, image policy etc
> etc should already have been sorted. Comments?

Personally, I wouldn't mind if we all converged on de.wp or es.wp's
image policy, but I think there would be significant disagreement.

Formatting? Layout? What does this mean exactly? This is one of the
areas I would least expect to have policy convergence, given that each
written language has its own history and tradition.

Wikis evolve at different rates, and so do their policies. Many small
wikis might not even HAVE written policies on many key issues. You can
understand that a small community of eager editors can think of better
things to do than think up or translate twenty key policies.

Brianna
user:pfctdayelise