[Foundation-l] Report from Frankfurt – October 2006

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 02:00:20 UTC 2006

On 10/26/06, oscar <oscar.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> ==Report from Frankfurt – October 2006==
>
> <center>''Imagine a giant with a golden head, a brass chest, iron legs and
> feet of clay; to develop this into a sustainably developing living
> organization while preserving the essence of its life, such is our
> mission.''
>
> (paraphrase and wink by the author of these lines are both released under
> GNU/FDL)

Careful you will have the conspiracy theorists onto you ( see
[[Bohemian_Grove#Cremation_of_Care]])

>  ("we
> should seriously consider appointing facilitators on-wiki for fundamental
> debates" i thought).

I think you may have found a job worse than arbcom member

> At the closing day, when it was discussed that some kind of report
> ("comprehensive, yet not too long") should be made to inform the community
> about what the ''cabal had been doing this time'',

A good idea although less exciting than then the normal manner.

> ==Strategies and Objectives==
>
> In search of defining clearer strategies and objectives, among the important
> themes we immediately agreed to focus upon were:
>
> *Sustainable organizational structure for Wikimedia, Foundation and Chapters
> (make a disctinction between Wikimedia as a movement and the Wikimedia
> Foundation)

I find the idea of Wikimedia as a movement to be deeply disturbing. As
a facilitator of for various movements yes. As a movement in of itself
ah I normally see that kind of thinking being promoted by pyramid
sceams

> May I challenge you to envision boldly what we can accomplish together, just
> as we were asked to do at the offset of the retreat? Can you imagine, within
> 12 months: "30 Chapters founded" - "500 Servers operational" -

Yes.

>"An office per continent"

No (a. antartica and b sounds a like a particlarly gastly form of outsourceing).

> - "100,000 Articles reached in 10 European-language projects"

Swedish, English, German, Polish, French, Dutch, Italian, Portuguese,
Italian, spanish, russian.

So yes

--
geni