[Foundation-l] Business Week: Alexa numbers are rubbish, and the others are worse

Walter van Kalken walter at vankalken.net
Fri Oct 20 04:55:26 UTC 2006

Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:

>Walter van Kalken wrote:
>

>>Tim Starling wrote:

>>>It's probably no big surprise for those who are aware of Alexa's data
>>>collection method. Just be glad we only use these statistics for curiosity
>>>and bragging. For web companies who need to convince investors or
>>>advertisers of their value, I can easily imagine the situation becoming
>>>hellish.
>>>

>>We do not use them only for that. On the nl.wikipedia there is a huge
>>group of people who consider Alexa to be the holy grail and use it to
>>dictating what an article can be written about or not. I wished you were
>>right Tim.
>>

>There's a rumour going around that on nl.wikipedia that there's a group
>of people who think that the rest of us "have no clue whatsoever when it
>comes to the meaning and regulations on copyright". Please tell me it's
>not true.

As someone who knows close to nothing about copyright I usually stay
away from those discussions. I wouldn't be surprised though. I was
recently involved in a debate about Alexa toolbar though. And then I
read this article which writes exactly what I thought. And then I saw
Tim's hope that nobody takes Alexa seriously. Unfortunately big groups
of people do and they do not see the flaws.

Waerth

Waerth