[Foundation-l] Closing inactive Wikinewses

magiske prosesser magipro at organizer.net
Tue Oct 17 17:34:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:30:59 -0600
  Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> I'm still not exactly sure what the threshold ought to
>be in terms of
> time to declare a Wikinews language edition "inactive",
>but the main
> goal ought to be to give the community who speaks that
>language the
> benefit of the doubt.  In addition, I would strongly
>recommend that if a
> Wikinews language edition is to be closed down, then the
>related "sister
> projects" of the same langauge ought to have a
>notification put in the
> Village Pump pages (even if in English... with an appeal
>for
> translation) that "their" language edition of Wikinews
>is being shut
> down due to inactivity.  Perhaps also a notification of
>any related
> mailing list that is specific to that language, if it is
>listed as an
> "official" Wikimedia mailing list.  I know that this
>seems like a lot of
> work, but the point here is to try and give a final
>effort to simply let
> speakers of that language know that Wikinews is even
>something that they
> could participate with.
>
> We might be surprised and get a few people to turn out
>without having to
> shut the project down in the first place.

On my local Wikipedia (the no: Norwegian) I have
previously on a couple of occasions raised issues
regarding local sister projects only to be told in no
uncertain terms that "this is Wikipedia. Matters relating
to sister projects should be discussed at meta." Of
course, that's not very helpful as very few local
contributors read meta. Seeing as this reveals a void when
it comes to adequate forums for local Wikimedia projects
coordination, I think an effort, perhaps from these parts
of the woods, to assist local chapters in finding
constructive solutions to this problem might be valuable.
Maybe a suggestion from "someone on high" to allow for the
creation of local inter-project village punp solutions
would spark more involvement in these projects.

Halvor  (User:meco)

--
email to and from this person will be subject to public
availability