[Foundation-l] www.wikimedia.co.nr

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 15:54:37 UTC 2006

On 10/17/06, Sean Whitton <sean at silentflame.com> wrote:
> Will they be framed, or simple redirected?

I strongly advise anyone possessing a TLD domain that they wish to
redirect to the Wikimedia projects to put up a very simple page along
the lines of:

"You are probably looking for the xxxx language edition of [insert
name of project here]. Please update your bookmarks and follow this
link to find the original [link to project]"

in whatever language is appropriate, of course.

A redirect has many disadvantages:

1) most redirects through the registrar will mask the actual real
address of the project
2) other redirects do not make it clear for the person who typed the
address in, at any time, that this is not the real address to the
project and not the address they should be typing in.
3) If people get used to using a false address, they will also jump to
the conclusion that the person holding the domain is somewhat
responsible for the content they land on.

Believe me, you do not want to go that route.

In any case, it should be very clear for the visitor that the domain
is *not* the right way to get to any of Wikimedia projects. Or at
least that it is a longer way than typing the real address directly
in. This goes for any domain friendly held that wish to redirect to
the projects. Follow that simple rule, and we'll all sleep better :-).

Cheers,

Delphine
--
~notafish