[Foundation-l] Proposed guidelines in our IRC channels

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 12 17:29:33 UTC 2006

I really do think your suggestion that  that "the
people who run the channels organise themselves to
agree on the rules for the benefit of all, and enforce
them according to the parts of the rules that detail
that"  is a good one.  However I do not know that the
people who run the channels subscribe to this list, if
anyone runs them at all.  Before you do anything to
start organize the writing of these rules, you first
need to identify who are "the people who run the
channels" or aleast identify all the channels.

Regarding the list of IRC channels on en.WP the
correct title is [[en:Wikipedia:IRC channels]]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IRC_Channel

I do not believe this nomenclature is standardized
enough that you can guess where all the channels are
based off of that list and langauge codes.  And the
list may be considered good by wikipedia users but I
find it very limited as far as other projects.

Here is what I think you need to do to accomplish your
broadest goals.  Make an inclusive list of channels
you wish to cover with clear guidelines as to why such
a X channel is included and other channels are not.
Visit every channel and annouce the project to work
out these guidelines by adding it to the header.  Make
sure you add this annoucement in the proper language.
Then develop these guidelines on Meta with as full
participation as you can manage to get.  If everyone
is able to participate in the development of the
guidelines and consensus is reached then they will be
invested in following them.  Then there should be no
need to enforce them at any level.

As far as Jimmy denouncing #wikipedia.  If this is
your main concern, you should probably follow Aphaia's
suggestion and take this to wikipedia-l.  But to take
Jimmy's opinion of that one channel and make that a
foundation for rules for the whole spectrum of IRC is
mistake IMHO.  And in any case this is only on-topic
here if, as david said, WMF is going to be the
controling organization per Freenode.  From your
answer to me I do not believe this is your intention.

Birgitte SB