[Foundation-l] "Search in Category" function for MediaWiki

Virgil Ierubino virgil.ierubino at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 13:44:48 UTC 2006

I would really like to see a function like this developed into MediaWiki,
either an an extension or into a new version. Put simply, one should be able
to perform searches, limiting the field of search to articles in a given
category. The reasons why this would be useful are probably obvious. If not
- the simplest one is just that categories split articles into topics - and
this would allow a user to search in a given topic.

I see two ways of enacting this, and I think both should be looked into.
Firstly, an "advanced search" option, which I think is not as favourable.
Secondly, and this is what I think would really be good, a search box
automatically appears on a category page.

Alternatively, when one is viewing a category page, the normal search box
(on the left) acquires a check box - "search in this category".

Additionally, a further checkbox could be interesting: "also search
subcategories".

I can't imagine this would be too difficult to implement, but would
certainly be very useful and would make more use of the categorisation
system in MediaWiki.