[Foundation-l] What to do with wikimedia.com/.org

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Oct 10 12:57:59 UTC 2006

Thanks to Arne Klempert, at long last, we now own the wikimedia.com
domain name in addition to wikimedia.org. To me this is a good time to
revisit the question what to do with the www.wikimedia.com/.org
website.

Right now it's a minimal portal with logo links to the projects
(currently missing Wikiversity). One point that has been made is that
"Wikimedia" can refer to any of the chapters or the Foundation, while
"Wikimedia Foundation" is specific to the Foundation.

So I think it makes sense to keep wikimediafoundation.org the way it
is, also for reasons of Wikimedia/Wikipedia confusion. But we could
turn wikimedia.org into a portal which shows

1) a link to the Foundation website
2) links to the chapter websites (slightly smaller)
3) links to the projects (slightly smaller still).

The site itself should avoid language, but I'm sure we can make it
spiffier than the current one.

Is this general pattern acceptable? If so, I suggest we launch and
advertise a design contest.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.