[Foundation-l] Ensuring veracity of articles based on print sources

Jonathan Leybovich jleybov at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 06:19:34 UTC 2006

Andrew Gray wrote:

> My position is that the proposal originally suggested in this thread -
> of confirming the existence of books so as to deal with bad-faith fake
> sources - just won't work, because it means a good deal of work but is
> trivially easy for the people who we assume are trying to fool us to
> keep fooling us. We need fact checking. But having a system that
> sounds like fact checking and looks like fact checking but doesn't
> work is a net detriment.

Almost every system of security relies on countermeasures that are- not
invulnerable- but only cost more for the attacker to breach than are
worth the effort of breaking.  Outrageous claims that contradict common
knowledge or sense are going to be scrutinized and weeded out anyway,
source or no source.  And so what we really have here is the possibility
of bad-faith editors introducing fabricated citations to support, at
worst, moderately false assertions.  There are various levels of
automatic validation that could be done at the time the citation is
created using data from open bibliographic databases- from checking
whether the book is of an appropriate subject and that the page cited
falls within the book's pagination range to more involved CAPTCHA-like
challenges such as: Where was the book published? and: What is the
highest Roman numeral used in the preface?  This is only moderately
easier for an owner of the source to verify (and indeed, bad-faith
owners could own the source in question anyway), but it quickly becomes
for trouble than it's worth for the citation creator if their only
motivation is mischief.  Before introducing countermeasures we need to
determine where that threshold actually lies and so avoid introducing
more hoops for good-faith editors to jump through than are absolutely
necessary.