[Foundation-l] Mywikipediaspace

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Oct 7 00:34:39 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

> There are two entirely separate issues here.

I agree, but the difference is apparently not about being paid,
but about the contents of the resulting articles.

We all agree that articles should be encyclopedic, NPOV and cover
relevant topics.  Contributors who cannot learn to comply with
this can ultimately be blocked and banned, and will have their
edits reverted.

If they market themselves as Wikipedia-based PR agents, something
they cannot legally deliver, there are laws (in some countries, at
least) against false marketing.  However, it seems more likely
that they would market themselves as PR agents without even
mentioning Wikipedia as part of the package.  This probably
happens already.  Do we know where all the detailed articles on
various BMW car models come from?  Why does the [[en:Saab 9-5]]
article "require cleanup", while all BMW articles are good?
I don't want to start any witch hunt.  I'm glad that there are
good articles about BMWs.  I don't care who wrote them.  Let's
hope other brands can radiate the same inspiration to contributors
of good articles.

When I edit Wikipedia, it's in my free time, when I could decide
to work instead, so I'm already paying a price (to myself) for
editing.  Some people cannot afford this free time, but are forced
to have double jobs.  Northern welfare states (Canada, Sweden,
Japan) have more people with computers, education, and free time
available to edit Wikipedia, so these societies will be covered in
more detail than other regions.  If I get a scholarship, I can
spend more of my time editing Wikipedia.  Next step, if the
tourist board of my region (or a health eduction organization)
would pay me, I could focus on covering topics relevant to them.
And perhaps some hotel chains (or drug companies) can add to that
money.  Since I'm giving talks and technical consulting, I could
also advice PR firms on how to understand and interact with
collaborative Internet communities.

I don't see that I would step over some sharp border, were I to go
from paying myself to receiving scholarships or corporate
sponsoring for writing on Wikipedia. The sharp border is if I'm
starting to write bad articles.

It is possible that we should all openly declare any money we
receive for Wikipedia-related activities.  Are there any
guidelines for this already?  Would that include personal wealth
that enables us to spend time and resources on Wikipedia?  Do
other organizations (churches, Red Cross, ...) have such ethical
guidelines?

> But we can and should stand firm on the ethical principles.

But which are the ethical principles here?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)