[Foundation-l] UMP Convention

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 22:09:54 UTC 2006

On 10/5/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> As well as being a detriment to us in that we only have a limited
> amount of resources to play with, this sort of thing can lead to
> interesting unintentional biases - a disproportionately high number of
> images on en.wp have uniformed US servicemen in them, often in the
> most unexpected contexts. I wonder if we can use this sort of thing to
> our advantage? "Look how many of the freely-available images of major
> humanitarian operations have American flags all over them. Yes, I know
> the French government gave more aid after the tsunami than the
> Americans. But they didn't release ten thousand photographs of it all
> as part of their normal practice. This sort of thing can pay off."

The problem is that most goverments hold the copyright on things of
significant value and as such are unlikely to release them directly
into the public domain. Most will consider it enough to allow use for
non comercail uses or for educational uses. Or will produce something
like the british crown copyright system.

--
geni