[Foundation-l] Mywikipediaspace

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 17:37:36 UTC 2006

On 10/5/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> On 10/5/06, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> > No, actually, they are not free to do that, and I consider it deeply
> > unethical if they do.  They are free to pay someone to write whatever
> > they like, and put it on their own website, and release it under the GNU
> > FDL.  They are not free to edit Wikipedia for pay.
> >
> So is it unethical for the person who wins Danny's contest to accept
> the award payment?

Methinks there's a slight difference between being paid by a neutral
third party to write an article and being paid by an interested party
to write an article.

In the one, the focus is on promoting article quality and Wikipedia;
in the other, the focus is on promoting a company.

Big, big difference.

--
Sam