[Foundation-l] Porchesia atonement

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Oct 4 00:17:58 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:

>The problem is how to come up with a sources criterion that can't be hoaxed.
>
>There's enough trouble with stupid AFD nominations on en:wp by people
>who couldn't find the subject on Google and presumed it therefore
>didn't exist.
>
>Will we forbid print sources unless a scan is lodged with the WMF?

Exactly, and it's pointless for some people to become so panicked over
this.  That will accomplish nothing.

Strangely, there is an advantage to having an article with no sources at
all.  Readers will be more inclined to doubt it, and question its
accuracy.  There is nothing easier than hoaxing the sources for a fact.
An honest editor will find such tactics unthinkable, and will be quite
rightly upset when he's questioned.  A dishonest one (who is more than
merely stupid) can feign any attribute of an honest editor.

Honest editors can still misunderstand their sources, or with a simple
error that adds or omits the word "not" can get the subject completely
wrong.  Fact checking means hard work.  It means more than berating
those who have failed to provide detailed sources, and whining when
honest editors bite back.  In my dreams I imagine a Wikipedia where
those who question the facts of others are also curious enough to seek
out corroborating information.

Ec