[Foundation-l] Porchesia

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Oct 3 01:06:57 UTC 2006

> Erik's point here is completely valid.
>
> The problem in this case is not really "no sources".  The problem should
> be viewed as more general.  "It is possible to hoax wikipedia by writing
> something that sounds plausible."

Solving that problem, without decimating the encyclopedia, would be
such an enormous undertaking.  Given a reasonably literal
interpretation it's talking about not just matching the accuracy of
the New York Times or Britannica (for instance), but blowing it away.

In other words, I love it.  And I see now how it *is* a Foundation
issue.  Not just because it potentially affects multiple projects,
which it does, but also because it requires a different type of
thinking from that of making incremental changes to something that
already works fairly well.

I hope the members of the Foundation are aware of how big of an
undertaking this is.  I hope that the planning can be conducted in a
very open fashion, and not just thrust upon the community in an
announcment that X was decided/created/whatever.  I hope this because
if it isn't conducted in this manner, it probably isn't going to work.

Anthony