[Foundation-l] [Wikipedia-l] Mywikipediaspace

Alison Wheeler wikimedia at alisonwheeler.com
Mon Oct 2 09:47:50 UTC 2006

On Mon, October 2, 2006 06:10, Walter van Kalken wrote:
> I think this would be impossible. I signed up, like many, to certain
> ''terms of service'' and now all of a sudden they would get changed
> after 3+ years of actively participating. I feel that you would open up
> a Pandora's box if you did that.

Whilst not directly camparable, LiveJournal did exactly that earlier this
year. It changed the ToS and, basically, said that continued use after
such and such a date, was explicit acceptance of those changed ToS. There
were a few complaints but, in the end, people realised that the service
they loved and used was the more important thing and they stayed.

Whilst I love the fact that our projects are "open" the massive growth we
haev experienced has clearly led to problems with commercial cruft in a
few - which will no doubt expand to the others in time - and this might
well be the right way to go. I would support something of this nature.

Alison Wheeler