[Foundation-l] Mywikipediaspace

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Oct 2 04:20:35 UTC 2006

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

>Rule 5:
>Non-commercial Use by Members. The MySpace Services are  for the personal use
>of Members only and may not be used in connection with any  commercial
>endeavors except those that are specifically endorsed or approved by  MySpace.com.
>Illegal and/or unauthorized use of the MySpace Services, including  collecting
>usernames and/or email addresses of Members by electronic or other  means for
>the purpose of sending unsolicited email or unauthorized framing of or
>linking to the MySpace Website is prohibited. Commercial advertisements,  affiliate
>links, and other forms of solicitation may be removed from Member  profiles
>without notice and may result in termination of Membership privileges.
>Appropriate legal action will be taken for any illegal or unauthorized use of  the
>MySpace Services.
>
>Forbidden thing 11 is:
>
>displaying an advertisement on your profile, or accepting payment or
>anything of value from a third person in exchange for your performing any  commercial
>activity on or through the MySpace Services on behalf of that person,  such
>as placing commercial content on your profile, posting blogs or bulletins  with
>a commercial purpose, selecting a profile with a commercial purpose as one
>of your "Top 8" friends, or sending private messages with a commercial
>purpose;
>
>As I said, I sincerely doubt most (any) Myspace members have read the  Terms
>of Service, I can assure you that they are far more substantial  than our own
>Terms of Service. Personally, I hope that the Board rectifies  this.

While it may be a good idea for Wikipedia to have terms of use, I don't
think the fact that Myspace has any particular terms of use ought to be
our guide.  Myspace has the above terms for a very specific reason:
Their business model is based around selling advertising on the site.
Therefore they must maintain a monopoly on advertising on their site.
If advertisers could bypass Myspace itself and buy ads directly froms
users, who would then place them on their profiles, that would undercut
Myspace's business model.  So they prohibit that, of course.

Being a nonprofit charity, we have quite different goals, which insofar
as they overlap is mostly accidental...

-Mark