[Foundation-l] Comments on the new wikipedias

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 20:00:39 UTC 2006

Hoi,
For some of the newly created wikipedias there are reasons why I would not
create them as languages in WiktionaryZ in this manner
They are:

http://roa-tara.wikipedia.org/		Tarantino
http://cbk-zam.wikipedia.org/		Zamboanga Chavacano
http://zh-classical.wikipedia.org/	Classical Chinese
http://cu.wikipedia.org/		Old Church Slavonic
http://ru-sib.wikipedia.org/		Siberian/Nort Russian

   - Tarantino is supposed to use the roa code. This code does not
   signify anything but that it is a Romance language. The code does specify
   what is included in the code and Tarantino is not one of them.
   - In ISO-639-3 cbk is the code for Chavacano. Zamboangueño is an
   alternative name..
   - For Classical Chinese there is no specificity as what is meant by
   this. This is also easy to explain as the zh (zho) code itself is
   depreciated in the ISO-639-3 because there are some 10 languages that are
   included in this code.
   - I might include the Old Church Slavonic as chu. It is used as
   liturgical language of various Orthodox and Byzantine Catholic churches. It
   is considered extinct.
   - The ru-sib is a created language. It is a bad idea to create a code
   as if it is a dialect of the Russian language when it is not.

Thanks,
     GerardM