[Foundation-l] Fundraising season launch

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 9 10:13:50 UTC 2006

Hello,

Last update from Michael (this summer) mentionned that we had about 550
k$ in bank.

The technical team mentionned recently there was an urgent need for new
application servers (apache/squids), to address the record traffic the
site has been receiving. A couple of weeks ago, traffic reports
indicated > 18,000 requests per second, far above our routine traffic of
12,000 requests per second earlier this summer.

Consequently, a hardware purchase resolution has been very recently
approved, which will significantly impact our reserves.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution_Hardware_sept_2006

Michael reported that we purchased $425k of hardware last fiscal year
and will purchase $400k more in just the first half of the current
fiscal year. Rough estimate for this fiscal year hardware is between
$750k-$1M.

In short, it is high time to have our second fundraising of the year :-)

A fundraising committee was set up not a long time ago for such purpose
and will work with Brad for the success of the fundraising. The
translation committee will naturally have to be heavily involved and
coordination about press coverage will be under the responsability of
the comcom.

If you want to be involved, please say so.

Florence
Wikimedia Foundation

--------

As an individual (not board member), I would like to ask if it were
possible that the spin around the fundraising, focuses a bit on the
other projects, perhaps the notion of virtual library, with the
wikicommons and wikisource. We have the recent report of the german
digitization to show up as an example as how we could push things
forward in realm of digital libraries.

Ant