[Foundation-l] UMP Convention

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 5 19:19:12 UTC 2006

Hello,

A very short word to say that yesterday I attended a convention in
Paris, organised by the UMP
(http://www.u-m-p-paris.org/article.php3?id_article=454).

UMP is the first (as far as I know) political party in France, leader
being Mr Sarkozy, current minister of interior in France and a leading
candidate for the future presidential elections.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarkozy

The convention was focused on education and research
(http://www.u-m-p-paris.org/article.php3?id_article=454) I was speaking
in a panel along with french internet entrepreneurs, the idea of the
panel not being to "inform" people, but rather to tell them about what
we were expecting/hoping from this party (and likely, ahum, well,
possibly, from the next government...).

After a short introduction to Wikipedia, with proper figures ("4,4
millions of french electors are visiting Wikipedia every month" - I
could see every one bending to write down the scary fact that 1/10
french electors was a Wikipedia user), I insisted on two facts.

First is the DADVSI law (which was supported by UMP - making them the
real bad guys for free software supporters) - please see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADVSI with this relevant bit

	"The law was highly controversial within France for it could
significantly hamper free software, and also may significantly restrict
the right to make copies of copyrighted works for private use.

Second was to talk about the fact USA releases information in Public
Domain, versus our government (and more generally the EU, or most public
organisations) under classical cp. I mentionned as examples
* most pictures of french politicians on wp being from the US
governement (not the french gvt)
* Spatial research images from the NASA rather than ESA
* Etc

The whole convention was *extremely* interesting (which actually amazed
me, because it is rather unusual to attend a convention and be
interested all along). I was in particular amazed at how understandable
people were (very little political talk), how specific and how ready to
state what was not working. It was very refreshing...

In terms of audience, well, I'd say a quite decent part of it was
parliament members and current or ancient ministers. Others being
typically presidents of universities etc... In short, powerful people.

I was very glad to finally meet Loic Lemeur, probably the famous blogger
in France, and who I read occasionnally but never had the opportunity to
meet. Also the creator of several internet success.

I was invited to later talk privately to the person in charge of ict et
al from the office of Mr Sarkozy. I'll try to take care of that in november.

Guys, I hope you all feel the power of what we are building. This is HUGE.

Ant