[Foundation-l] Combined Federal Campaign

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 11:05:45 UTC 2006

On 28/11/06, Sebastian Moleski <sebmol at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/28/06, David Monniaux <David.Monniaux at free.fr> wrote:
> >
> > An email on OTRS suggests the Wikimedia Foundation should be on the list
> > of charities of this system.
> > I'm unsure we can apply.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Federal_Campaign
>

> This seems like an interesting source of donations to pursue. As to
> eligibility, from what I read, Wikimedia should fall under the eligibility
> criteria (provided they are up to par on the usual paperwork required of
> charities). I've looked at the list of organizations (
> http://www.cfctoday.org/federations/index.html) that are currently part of
> the program. Among them were several who in whole or part have education as
> one of their goals so I don't see why Wikimedia could not be eligible.

I'm unsure quite what "demonstrate that they provide or conduct real
services, benefits, assistance or program activities in [geographic
areas]" might mean - online-only projects which don't give physical
charitable donations might get a bit misplaced under a strict reading
of this.

I suppose there's nothing to be lost in sounding it out.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk