[Foundation-l] A great ruling for the community

Brad Patrick bpatrick at wikimedia.org
Wed Nov 22 03:42:21 UTC 2006

The California Supreme Court issued its ruling yesterday in the Barrett
v. Rosenthal case, one of the most closely watched cases involving the
Communications Decency Act section 230.  The Court came down strongly in
favor of internet freedom and immunity from liability for those within
the protection of Section 230.  This has significant implications for
"distributor" and "user" theories of liability/immunity.  Overall, this
decision is very good for Wikimedia Foundation projects, and our users.

I encourage anyone interested to see the opinion at
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/S122953.PDF.

-Brad