[Foundation-l] wikicouncil

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:40:23 UTC 2006

On 21/11/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:

> If some Council were charged with creating filters for content, I am
> not in much doubt that it would be hijacked by those who wish to
> overly censor our content for "the sake of children". After all,
> surely the people most interested in creating filters are those who
> think Wikipedia is overly "liberal" (appalling word) in the content we
> serve and are overly lax about whom this content is served to?

A larger version of this is pretty much why I have qualms about this
idea: there's quite enough editors looking for some way to tell other
editors what to do, with the endpoint of driving them off the projects
if they don't go along with them; and creating such a council without
a clear reason appears to be an open invitation to such an attitude.
Bureacracy is inherently harmful and must have a clear positive reason
to exist.

- d.