[Foundation-l] wikicouncil

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Nov 20 03:31:48 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:

>I write this email with much hesitation.

Understandably!

>The issue has been raised often, the possible creation of a council.

I first raised such an idea before the first by-laws were adopted.

>Naturally, setting up such a structure is bound to be difficult, due to
>the following issues to discuss and decide
>* what would be the roles of such a council ?

It's the most important issue.  Unless a vision can be developed of what
such a group would do, figuring out its membership or operating
procedures would be pointless

>* would that council vote the people to become Wikimedia Foundation
>board members ?

An interesting concept.  It may want to propose such a thing, but it
could not decide by itself to do this.  Before such a voting process
could be adopted a by-law amendment would be needed, AND there should be
more general consent by Wikimedians in general.

>* would this council become a sort of goverment of the project ?

Perhaps, iff there is broad support for this.

>* how would people be added to this council (and along with which rules,
>depending on project size, languages etc...)

I would not be prepared to prejudge this.

>The issue has been raised many times already.
>If there are people interested in setting up a proposal, please just
>tell me. I am not talking of "discussion" here, I am talking of "writing
>down a proposal". On which the board could have a look. On which the
>community could comment and then vote.

I agree.  Unless such a pilot group is set up nothing will ever happen.
I know only too well what happens to inovative proposals that are made
on the mailing lista.  You have commented yourself that some of your
best and most thoughtful ideas get no response.

>Anyway, if interested, jsut tell me and we can organise a little chat
>and a page about that. If noone interested, time will see :-)

Count me as interested.

Ec