[Foundation-l] Foundation logo : pain and suffering

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Nov 16 20:44:49 UTC 2006

The MW logo is PD content and Anthere and I explicitly designated it
as such. I'm not even going to get into any discussion about whether
we could retroactively "un-PD" it, as I find such attempts to put
content that has been explicitly released to the public under a
proprietary license unethical.

Is it valuable for the MW logo to be copyrighted by the WMF? Maybe it
is, maybe it isn't. I'm skeptical. I've seen dozens of wikis which
have "remixed" the MW logo to make their own (put something else
between the double square brackets etc.). I think that's pretty cool
and has not created any confusion as far as I know, since MediaWiki is
primarily a product rather than a community website of its own.

I suggest distinguishing strongly between the brand name MediaWiki and
the picture used to represent it. One can be protected while the other
is not.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.