[Foundation-l] Foundation logo : pain and suffering

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 15:32:58 UTC 2006

On 11/16/06, ATR <alex756 at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> Someone cannot declare a work PD just by copying it.

the authors however probably can although I am aware there is some
disspute on that point..

> It seems the actual logo was created by Eric Moller, and it has always been the
> understanding with all logos that they were "works made for hire" for
> the foundation. This has been discussed previously and Jimbo can
> back this up. Just because someone put a PD tag on the page at
> Commons does not invalidate the Foundation's claim to this logo.

That someone was the author:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Image:MediaWiki-smaller-logo.png&diff=2170395&oldid=1545263

While the work for hire bit holds true for most of the more recent
logos it doesn't so much for things tha happened in the early days

--
geni