[Foundation-l] Foundation logo : pain and suffering

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 08:03:03 UTC 2006

geni wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Sean Whitton <sean at silentflame.com> wrote:
>
>> Hang on, I must contest all this! I see all the Wikimedia logos as
>> being professional, memorable and simple; therefore effective. They
>> also fit really well with the default monobook theme, IMO.

> I don't think the foundation owns the mediawiki logo. Copyright wise
> it is in the public domain.
Hoi,
Given the age of the thing it cannot be PD yet. They are part of a
trademark and as such they are owned by the Foundation. They can if they
so choose license the logos. This is problematic because the rights that
are usual for other WMF content contrasts with the requirement of
maintaining the trademark.

This has all been said in the past often enough. Please do not spout
nonsense as if our logos are Public Domain.

Thanks,
    GerardM