[Foundation-l] Sexual harassment in Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Nov 16 01:50:19 UTC 2006

Titoxd at Wikimedia wrote:

>I think that is what both Jimbo and I said...
>
>What the privacy policy states (the way I read it) is that Checkusers are
>allowed to release IP information when one of the conditions for release
>(e.g. abuse of resources, or in this case, threats against a community
>member) are met, and there is no better alternative than to release them
>immediately. For example, a Checkuser in the English Wikipedia is allowed to
>release the IP of a vandal who is creating a plethora of accounts with the
>sole intent of vandalizing the site; in fact, every time a Checkuser blocks
>a vandal IP based on Checkuser information, the IP is released into the
>block log.

IP information alone does not always mean we have personal personal
information.

>I cannot imagine a scenario in which a police officer approaches
>a user with the appropriate privileges, identifies himself satisfactorily,
>and makes it clear beyond any doubt that the information is going to be used
>in a rape/stalking/solicitation investigation, and is refused the
>information he needs.

I can.  A person with checkuser lives in a country with more limited
civil rights, and the police threaten him with jail if he does not use
that right to give them what they want ...Even in freer countries very
few people are willing to confront the police when they make improper
demands.  If suggesting that they are on a rape investigation will get
them the information they want they'' say that.

>Of course, it may be appropriate to "kick him
>upstairs" to the Florida office as soon as possible, if the situation is not
>as urgent.

Sometimes.

Ec