[Foundation-l] Sexual harassment in Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Nov 16 01:31:49 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:

>However, if the check is done for investigation reasons (request by the
>police, by a government etc...), rather than to immediately protect the
>site from a raw attack, yeah, it would be very shocking that a checkuser
>reveals the information. To that date, I do not think it ever occured.
>
>In this case, if a request was made to find out the ip of the user who
>issued the threats, I think the request should be made to the
>board/executive. But *mostly*, the request should be done either by a
>very trusted user, or more likely by a group of trusted editors. If a
>totally unknown person mentions threats have been issued in a language
>we can not understand, and request to know the ip of another editor, I'd
>say the request should not be fullfilled.

Things can get even more complicated when the requesting police force is
of a country well known for its violations of civil rights.  A subpoena
from Myanmar.would be a cause for concern.

Even your last point gets tricky.  If a woman is receiving sexual
threats giving the IP details directly to her may not be the most
effective way of dealing with the problem unless she is technically
savvy.  A threat from someone in her own town is more dangerous than one
from the other side of the world, and having the information given
directly to people in a position to do something about the problem will
eliminate the potential for having the authorities as hysteria.

Ec