[Foundation-l] Dual-Licensing Wiktionary :fr ?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 18:50:12 UTC 2006

Hoi,
A copyright holder can license his content. This is why several Open
Source projects insist that any the ownership of a contribution that is
to be merged  into the core of that project is to be transferred to the
organisation that maintains the project. This way they can provide both
free and proprietary services based on the same code-base. The Wikimedia
projects are not the same. It is possible to write a quality NPOV
Wikipedia article in many ways, just compare articles in different
Wikipedias and you will see what I mean. Wiktionary is very much more
factual; the translation for child in Dutch is kind. The gender is
neutral, the plural is kinderen. You cannot copyright this. The
information in WiktionaryZ and Wiktionary is very much like this. It is
very much the reason why WiktionaryZ could be developed in this way.

It is as you indicate, there are multiple copyrights involved. The
MediaWiki is GPL. The database design is GPL. The database specific
copyright is as indicated earlier with either with the Wikimedia
Foundation or with the community of a Wiktionary project. It is not
possible for a single person to lay claim to the whole of the collection.

The WiktionaryZ project is completely differently organised from the
Wiktionary projects; one is relational the other flat file organised.
When it comes to the data itself, for Wiktionary an article exists for
each each expression spelled in a particular way. In WiktionaryZ there
is a record for each occurrence of the expression per language. It is
therefore impossible for WiktionaryZ to "infringe" on the license held
by Wiktionary in all the ways that you specify for the "database
specific copyright".

Thanks,
    GerardM