[Foundation-l] Commons and Portuguese Wikipedia

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 16:36:17 UTC 2006

On 11/15/06, Luiz Augusto <lugusto at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> The Portuguese Wikipedia has disabled new uploads because the civil war
> started (and maintaned) by some users up today don't have produced a new
> vote to review the copyright policy to allow ou permanently disallow fair
> use images,
[snip]

When we have problems with contributors who are unable to understand
important aspects of our agenda like Free Content we must solve that
problem through more communication.

So it is with much sadness that I view your decision to avoid unfree
content by forcing the use of commons. Communication is most effective
when it comes from someone close, from someone trusted, or from
someone respected. Communication is best understood when it comes from
someone who speaks your language.

If you were unable to educate some members of your own community about
free content, then I fear commons will have no hope of educating these
people because commons is no better at speaking your langauge, no
better known to your users, and probably no better respected.

Such changes will only shuffle around and not solve the problems. See:
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIMBY