[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] Principles of organisation - who do we serve?

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Nov 15 12:11:05 UTC 2006

On 11/14/06, James Hare <messedrocker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Technically, anything that isn't public domain is copyrighted. Even if it's
> GFDLed.
>
> But generally in a Wikimedia context, when people say "copyrighted" they're
> referring to the icky all-rights-reserved stuff.

And therein lies one of the big problems, as what constitutes "the
icky all-rights-reserved stuff" is much harder to define and explain
to people than "copyrighted media".

Simply referring to "the icky all-rights-reserved stuff" as
"copyrighted" only serves to confuse people more.  I hope that's not
what was happening here.

Anthony