[Foundation-l] Java becomes Open Source, what next?

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Nov 14 09:50:10 UTC 2006

On 11/14/06, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> Adding my own $0.02 here, this is indeed a bad idea for security issues
> alone.  I completely agree here with Anthony's sentiments as Java has
> some very significant security holes that would open up some incredible
> liability and other problems if used on Wikimedia sites.  The very
> thought of allowing anonymous users to post Java source code that would
> be served up through Wikimedia servers..... I can't think of a worse
> possible problem.  It makes all of the issues with hacking the front
> page of Wikimedia projects seem very tame and mild by comparison.

We're talking about applets, wich have a specific sandbox security
model. Let's not discuss on the basis of FUD, please.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.