[Foundation-l] Sexual harassment in Wikipedia

roc sdnyroc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 07:20:11 UTC 2006

By "sexual harassment", THD was trying to explain the online
harassment/stalking/solicitation accident in which a female user at
Chinese Wikipedia was threaten to be raped. It does not mean the kind
of sexual harassment in a working environment. In addition to THD's
description, the victim's real life name was used in the threat; this
name has never been disclosed by the victim on Wikipedia.

We respect the freedom of speech and other civil rights, but we are
not obligated to provide a place for any speech or act, especially
when such an act seriously violates other people's civil rights or
safety. I totally agree with Gregory that we protect the
visitor/user's privacy because of our high ethical values and the
furthering of interests of both the WMF and the public. We are not
going to protect everyone's privacy at all times, especially when it
is *necessary* to protect our values or interests or safety. Indeed,
in Wikipedia's privacy policy
(http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Privacy_policy, link found at
bottom of every page on Wikipedia), there are several circumstances
that allow the release of IP information:
law enforcement.
6. Where it is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property or
safety of the Wikimedia Foundation, its users or the public.

I believe that tolerating such a personal violence threat (using the
word "rape" and the victim's undisclosed real-life name) would be a
neglect to the safety of our users and the health of our community,
which is essential to Wikimedia's success and missions.

Regarding policies and procedures, I think that WMF should either
dictate privacy policies of all its projects or give authorizations to
the community/people it trusts, as long as it conforms with the best
interests of WMF, the project, and the public. I believe that the
privacy policy of Chinese Wikipedia is governed by the WMF. In this
privacy policy, it is stated that "personally identifiable data...may
be released by...users with CheckUser access", does it mean that
checkusers/stewards are authorized to release IP information of a
registered user without seeking approval for each case from the Board
or Executive?

Best regards,

roc