[Foundation-l] Sexual harassment in Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Nov 10 02:39:43 UTC 2006

Titoxd at Wikimedia wrote:

>I'm not entirely sure that a random user of an online site qualifies as an
>employee of any site, so I don't think that *workplace* sexual harassment
>laws have anything to do with this case. After all the commotion lately with
>MySpace, it seems quite real that these situations do have some sort of
>legal backing under some sort of sexual harassment statute, although IANAL.
>In many of these cases, it is just safer to report the case, and if the
>police asks for anything, just provide them access to the Apache and Recent
>Changes logs.

Providing this data should only be done in response to a court order.
Mere police investigation is not enough.  There are many more situations
where a person has legitimate reasons for remaining anonymous.  This
might seem like very obvious circumstances for providing information,
but there are other activities where we diverge significantly about the
legality of the activity, and it is not our place to start making
judgements about legality.  Civil rights and free speech are important,
and if it means having to tolerate occasional idiotic speech that's a
very small price to pay.

Ec