[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation to make a donation to FreeNode

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Fri Nov 3 20:05:12 UTC 2006

On 11/3/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The Wikimedia Foundation will make next week a one-time donation of USD
> 5,000 dollars to the Peer-Directed Project Center, the non-profit
> organization which operates FreeNode
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freenode).
>
> This donation recognizes the tremendous value of online chat to the
> Wikimedia community, on the level of projects, languages and chapters,
> as well as to the Foundation itself. We hope it will help the servers to
> keep running smoothly :-)

A great idea.  I had thought the idea of donating to freenode had
already been brought up and rejected, but looking back it seems that
while Angela opposed making the donation, you and Jimbo were in favor
of it.

Anyway, a $5000 one-time donation seems quite appropriate.  Freenode
has been very helpful to the Wikimedia projects.

Anthony