[Foundation-l] [Wikipedia-l] contents under education/information licenses

David Monniaux David.Monniaux at free.fr
Tue Nov 21 14:24:06 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell a écrit :
> You make an argument that we should permit logos which are encumbered
> by copyright related restrictions,
No.
>> * This would enable us to counter systemic bias ; that is, allow content
>> from some providers from countries where "fair use" does not apply (we
>> for instance currently totally unbalance the portrayal of space programs
>> by having 7000 photos from NASA and hardly any from ESA/CNES).
>>
> [snip]
>
> More importantly, in my mind, is that while you might have an argument
> related to the protection of logos and identifying marks for the
> purpose of avoiding confusion and false associations,  you then take
> the unexplained leap to non-identifying images.. Things like
> scientific phenomena, rather than logos.

No.
I'm discussing images of satellites, space launchers, astronauts, inside
of spacecraft, and other similar content that carries the image of the
launching institution.

Research images (e.g. images of phenomena) are another issue. However,
ESA does not own the copyright to such images ; because of ESA's nature
as a consortium, images from such or such instrument may be copyrighted
by whichever institute provided the instrument.
You will learn more about it by reading m:ESA_images
> "You may use this for educational purposes" is a false offer: for what
> use is material that you may learn from, but may only put to use so
> long as you can sufficiently hide the origins of your knowledge?

I don't see what you mean. Such material could be used for any purposes
of information or education, including informing other people, as
opposed to, say, doing advertisements for a supermarket chain or a
politician.
> If the European Space agency is so paranoid and so afraid to share,
> that they will adopt a copyright policy which keeps their work from
> the public eye then it is by their own choice.
There's apparently a big misunderstanding here ; please consider reading
m:ESA_images .