[Foundation-l] Dual-Licensing Wiktionary :fr ?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 14:01:56 UTC 2006

Hoi,
Let me explain why WiktionaryZ allows for what are in effect two
licenses that are not compatible otherwise.

It is not possible to copyright facts. It is however possible to
copyright collections of facts. Every Wiktionary is a collection of
facts but there is no single person who owns this copyright. At best
there is a formal owner; the Wikimedia Foundation and there is a
practical owner that is its community. There are arguments about
definitions being copyrightable and there have been court cases about
this. It was typically found that there is often only one way of
defining certain things. This resulted in many dictionaries having bogus
information that only aims to "prove" that when found, the content of
their collection was illegally copied.

For WiktionaryZ we have defined success as: "When people find an
application for our data that we did not think about, that is success".
The consequence is that the data has to be available for inclusions in
applications. This means that we aim to provide the data in STANDARD
export formats. The data has to be identifiable to be in a recognised
language, a recognised script and a recognised orthography. There are
few practical standards for this. We went on a limb by choosing
ISO-639-3. This is the best currently available but this still does not
provide sufficient granularity. This may only arrive with the ISO-639-6.

When the data itself cannot be "protected" with licenses or copyright,
the question is what is it that we want from the copyright, the license.
What we want to make plane is that the data is available at WiktionaryZ
for any purposes and that we REALLY want people to help us complete
curate our data. This is what the CC-by allows us to do. It is possible
to include the data necessary to build OpenOffice (or any other) spell
checkers. These can be re-build every week. As long as the end-user
knows how and where to fix errors and omissions, we have the
functionality of our license. This is what mandatory attribution provides.

When a Wiktionary community wants to /cooperate /with WiktionaryZ, there
are several ways in which this can be done. We can have interwiki links
on the Wiktionaries articles to WiktionaryZ. When people want to use the
WZ content in Wiktionary they can. When a Wiktionary community wants to
/integrate /their data in WiktionaryZ integrally, they can vote on this.
>From the WZ point of view, if there is at least a 75% majority of the
active community in favour, it should provide enough clarity required to
investigate the integration of the data of that Wiktionary into
WiktionaryZ. In the past several large collections under other licenses
like the GPL have been integrated into the different Wiktionaries. The
copyright holders of these collections may find it in themselves to
grant WiktionaryZ this same privilege they gave to the Wiktionary projects.

When people edit content in WiktionaryZ, these changes can be used under
a less Free license, you only need to attribute.

Thanks,
    GerardM