[Foundation-l] Fundraising idea

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 12 05:02:30 UTC 2006

--- David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/11/06, James Forrester <james at jdforrester.org> wrote:
>
> > I am aware that this may get derided as advertising, but I really
> > don't think it's true - this is merely an extended press release, as
> > it were. I think that a line (in the site notice), saying something
> > like "Foo have pledged to match up to US$200,000 in our [[current
> > fund-raising drive]]" instead of the current text ("Your [[continued
> > donations]] keep Wikipedia running!") would be appropriate and
> > understated (believe me, I'm British, "understated" is what we /do/).
>

> We wouldn't get away with naming the company in the sitenotice - it'd
> have to be a link to a page listing the matching donations. Think
> that'd work for anyone?

Why not? Simply stating that a particular person/organization is going to match all donations made
in a certain day of the drive is not advertising. It is simply giving credit where credit is due
and inducing individual donations. Having different large donors sponsor each day of the drive in
this way would be great.

-- mav