[Foundation-l] Where we are headed. (was Wikimedia main office)

Arne Klempert klempert at gmail.com
Wed May 31 12:37:49 UTC 2006

On 5/31/06, Walter van Kalken <walter at vankalken.net> wrote:
> Geez very Americancentric. what happened to: Stockholm, Copenhagen,
> Amsterdam, Brussels, Berlin, Frankfurt, Warsaw, Moscow, Prague, Wien,
> Geneve, Zurich, Milan, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Istanbul, Delhi, Bangkok,
> Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Hong Kong, Peking, Tokyo, Jakarta, Sidney,
> Johannesburg, Capetown, Nairobi, Dakar, Lagos, Cairo, Cassablanca, Tel
> Aviv, Dubai, Kuwait, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paolo, Caracas, Buenos Aires,
> Lima and last but not least Paramaribo? (sorry if I forgot any city
> these are out of the top of my head)
>
> All of these are transport hubs with flights all over the world with
> multinational headquarters and ngo organization offices and headquarters
> etc. The last time I checked the world didn't revolve around the US.

There will be a Wikimedia office in Frankfurt (opening in October) -
not the headquarter of the Wikimedia Foundation, but the office of
Wikimedia Deutschland. And I hope that in a few years we will have
offices in some of the other cities you mentioned as well. We should
really go that way, instead of fighting about the best place for the
one and only international headquarter ...

-- Arne (akl)