[Foundation-l] Where we are headed. (was Wikimedia main office)

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri May 26 17:06:52 UTC 2006

Robin Shannon wrote:
> I just don't think it is our role to deal with the problems
> of Africa and any of the other projects envisioned.

Could be a bit more clear about what projects you think are being
envisioned which are not about our core mission?  I ask, because I am
unaware of any.

> I'm just throwing this out there as an idea to
> start a conversation because I appreciate that although the foundation
> has worked hard to try to be inclusive, there are a large number of
> people (or at least i get the feeling that there are anyway) who feel
> like the foundation is going in a direction contrary to where they
> would like it to go.

Can you be more specific?  Where do you think the foundation is heading,
which is not driven forward primarily by the community?

As far as I can tell, we are doing exactly what we have always done, and
have made no sharp breaks or shifts.

Perhaps this little discussion is misleading.  Some members of the
community, who are not board members, but who are of course highly
respected community members, have been discussion possible new
directions for the foundation which would apparently involve me moving
to New York or DC (which isn't going to happen, by the way), and opening
 an office there.

At least two board members have pointed out that this is not likely,
that there are no plans for the future of the foundation which would
involve anything like that.

Before this conversation veers off into speculation, I would like to ask
people to be please be very specific about specific things that you
think the Foundation is doing or might be doing, that you think are
inconsistent with our traditions and community values.  I know of
nothing, although of course we can discuss and quibble about details of
how various things are organized, etc.

--Jimbo