[Foundation-l] Wikimedia main office

Lord Voldemort lordbishopvoldemort at gmail.com
Fri May 26 03:08:23 UTC 2006

On 5/25/06, Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> There are real limits to the amount that can get done via email, IRC, and telephones. For example,
> we were able to do more work in the January face-to-face meeting than we did in the previous six
> months. Face-to-face communication simply has a much higher bandwith (as does having direct
> physical access to records). Increasing the opportunity for that by physical proximity to the
> people we want and need to be in contact with, can only reap great benefits.
>
> -- mav

Okay, so even if this was the case, would the foundation be wanting to
rent or buy?  Buying would obviously be more cost-effective, but how
much would the foundation be willing to spend on a new office?
Doesn't most of the current budget go towards server upkeep/purchase,
etc.?  Do we happen to have a tens of thousand of US dollars just
laying around?  If meetups are more effective, why not just schedule
more regular meet ups?  Meet in a library or some other suitable
meeting area.  I came into this convo a little late, forgive my
noobishness.