[Foundation-l] Wikimedia main office

Michael Davis mdavis at wikia.com
Fri May 26 01:28:30 UTC 2006

I'm not aware of any plans that call for massive hiring in a central
office.  Most office hiring will be for routine administrative/clerical
functions which will be much cheaper outside of a major metropolitan
areas.  Flights from St. Petersburg to NYC or DC are $200 round trip and
are easy day trips.  International flights are more difficult but that
hasn't slowed down Jimbo.  Given that the Foundations pays $400 per
month for office space, it's a whole lot cheaper to fly back and forth a
few time a month than lease office space in Manhattan.

Our strength is that we are a virtual organization and that isn't going
to change.

Michael