[Foundation-l] Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate)

arnomane at gmx.de arnomane at gmx.de
Fri May 19 16:04:36 UTC 2006

Am Freitag, 19. Mai 2006 04:25 schrieb Elisabeth Bauer:
> If you're a good designer, creating a
> good layout for wikipedia - do you really want any design ignorant admin
> later fiddling with it and maybe destroying it?

Well there is a problem: What is destruction? I am very sure that some people
consider some of our CSS hacks in MediaWiki:Monobook.css destruction of the
given Monobook design.

There are even some hacks that do alter on purpose polished layout in order to
improve usability (for example a checker background for images in Wikimedia
Commons in order to see transparency directly, see for example:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikipedia-logo.png).

Destruction is what a broad majority considers destruction and this can differ
from community to community (For example I really dislike most of the
namespace colors used in various Wikipedias but that's probably my personal
taste only...).

But as you have pointed it out usability is important and so I think we can
find a good commons sense for some kind of "corporate design" with only minor
local tweaks if we favour usability over fancy design.

> If we want to have a professional designer creating a layout for us, we
> need to guarantee them that their work remains intact. My idea was,
> though, to use free licenses but have some kind of social contract that
> they will be consulted if any changes to the layout have to be done.

Well there is the requirement that you have to credit the author(s). In case
someone else did modify a design you can force people by license (let us say
GFDL) to say that this is a modified design so that the original author does
not get blamed because some local ignorant admin did enforce his personal
taste (although my own experience says that only in small communities you can
act as dictator, in larger communities you need very good points so that
other admins don't revert you).

So if a majority of a community is dumb and likes a stupid change, well I'd
say they don't deserve anything better... And even in that case the original
author has nothing to do with it.

So I am sure there will be projects that will destroy any given design that
makes sense but these projects have to live with the problem that they are
very probably not professional and thus probably not relevant. And a project
that is irrelevant won't be noticed or just ignored over time (and if people
from that project notice this loose of interest they will hopefully consider
it and change their current style)...

Greetings, Arnomane