[Foundation-l] Wikimedia CH formally established

valdelli at bluemail.ch valdelli at bluemail.ch
Sun May 14 21:45:15 UTC 2006

Yes, Wikimedia CH is formally established.

I'm happy and I'm also curious to check its evolution. Wikimedia CH, at moment,
is the only multi-linguistic Wikimedia (I hope don't make a mistake) and
I would follow its evolution and to verify if this difference could be a
"plus" and not a division (I hope passionately).

Wikipedia is based, following its nature, on division by languages. Surely
there are users who offer their contributes to different wikipedias, but
in any case any wikipedia is a different community with different rules,
different goals, different outlook. Wikimedia CH is trying to harmonize its
three culture (or four or five including alemmanisch and rumantsch), this
is a challenge. In the first meeting we used four languages to communicate
(german, english, french and italian), the Olten's "BahnhofBuffet" seemed
to be the "BabelBuffet", but the most important thing is that there was a
communication.

I hope for the future :) ...in any case we started pursuing this aim having
at least a member for each three main languages in the board.

Best Regards

Ilario Valdelli
http://www.wikimedia.ch