[Foundation-l] The status of smaller languages on the Wikimedia Commons

Daniel Arnold arnomane at gmx.de
Sun May 7 00:36:24 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, 07. Mai 2006 02:13 schrieb Anthere:
> I would like to clarify something, which appears to be misunderstood.
>
> Committees (and subcommmittees) do not exist to *replace* local
> communities to do things. They can help local communities, or not.
>
> The primary role of committees is to do what the Foundation should do.
> It is distinctly different.

I am really sorry for that rant but I am just a little bit frustrated as I
have advertised our need for translation help countless times in some
wikipedias (namely de.wp and fr.wp) with limited success and just feared that
we will be sceduled somewhere and then there will be nice supportive calls
and again not many more people jump in.

There are some people that just jumped in there by themselves and just do
stuff which is really nice. Interestingly these people mainly come from
"minor languages" (minor either in the aspect of speakers or in the aspect of
less people from that language in Commons). Perhapes this is due to the fact
that they just want to support their language and are thus motivated doing
the work themselves rather than starting a regular political debate like
Teofilo has done many times before.

Arnomane